English - Inverview with exchange students #1


Here's the second interview i made with Merjem from Bosnia. The interview was in English so i thought i can publish it in both languages Turkish and English. The translation will be uploaded in following weeks. 

Enjoy.



Okay,`first let’s get to know you. Who are you and where are you from?

I am Merjem Brkovic. I am form Bosnia and Hezegovina, a country in the western Balkan Peninsula of Europe. I am a student at International University of Sarajevo. Currently, I am a fourth year student of Social and Political Science.

Are you Erasmus Exchange Student?

Yes, last year I applied for an a Erasmus Exchange programme, with a hope to visit new places and to get new experience.


For one year?

Fırstly, I applied for only one semester, but after I came here I get connected to Turkey, and I extend my staying for this summer semester as well.

While you were doing your Erasmus list, why did you choose Turkey?

My very first choice was Turkey, because of many reasons. One of the first one is similarity between Turkey and Bosnia and Herzegovina, there is various things which we have in common, such as culture, religion, tradition and history as well. Another aspect why I choose Turkey, is the quallity of education. There are many Universities here that are very known as a perspective Universities, with a good quality of education, it’s staff and students as well.

So culture is similar...

Yes. After I came here through explanation of what kind of country is Bosnia and Herzegovina, I used to say that it is like a small world. We have almost everything thats inside a world.
When it comes to Turkey, culture and tradition are quite similar, because of the history that we share. After Ottoman Empire came and conquer this territory, for sure they left a lot after themselves. All parts of istory that are connected with Bosnia and Herzegovina are making this country much interesting.

How was your first time at Turkey? Was it hard?

İ have been in Turkey once before, but just as a tourist. This time when I came for studing here, the feelings and experience are a bit different. It wasn’t hard for me, moreover it was interesting, changing environment that include seeing new things, meeting new people, listening new language, all of that together made me feel good and excited.
the only period that I found hard was language barrier, especially at the very biggining, but after I do succeeded solving all the issues that I faced. Also, there is a lot of international students here in Turkey, including a big number of Bosnian students as well, that were really helpful all the time.

What was the best thing you experienced in Turkey?

The very best thing I do experienced is traveling abroad. Most of the time, it is not only about destination, but the travel itself. The change that I experied here amazed me. Accepting and uderstanding change a person into different one, more open minded, and open for a new experiences. Here, in Turkey I am learning a lot of things such as how people live, communicate, and interact with each another. I learning about tradition, culture, religion of the people here which is amazing experience.

Do you have any friend from Bosnia in Turkey?

I do. Here in Turkey I met a lot of Bosnian friends, who are studing here. Those are young, brave and smart people that have a lot of potential in themselves.

Was this place your first abroad experience?

Yes, this is my first experience that I get for traveling abroad. I hope, traveling abroad and getting experience will continue in my life.

What are your plans after graduation? Do you plan to stay here or turn to your country?

I have a few plans that I am observing right now. Since I am at my final year, there is a lot of to think about, such as master which I am planning to enter after graduation. To finish my master here is also an option, but we will see that the life will bring with itself. J
                                                                                                
Here?

Yes, Turkey is also a great county to get a good education. Other options would be Malaysia, Canada, U.K, countries that have a good educational system that will help me to improve and develop myself in a various aspects.


How long do you planning to stay? Is it only for education?

Till now I am planning to stay here until I finish this semester, and then I will return to my country.

How is your accommodation? Are you staying at dormitory?

I am staying at dormitory, which is really good. There is a lot of other international students there, which is the fact that I like the most; sharing experience, knowledge and even just listening other language is really amazing.

Are there other exchange students?

There are a lot of international students which is really great.

What about student communities? Do you attend any of them?

İn Bosnia, in our University’s Student Parlieament, I am a president of Social and Political department whcih gave me many opportunities. Also, I am a vonunteer at Institute for Youth Development KULT, which is a non governmental organization that are helping youths in Bosnia to get developed, to improve themselves, and to make our country into better one.

That’s amazing. Okay then, let’s get to know your country. What are the outstanding features of your country? I know it is complicated.

Bosnia and Herzegovina is a very beautiful country, that have a lot of potential in itself. It’s a cpuntry full of diversity, which at the end are making this country into very specific and interestiong one. On the another side of medal, is it a bit complicated country. Our history and present as well are making this county fascinating throuhg both, good and bad side. Culture, tradition and religion are shared and different at the same time, between all Bosnians that include Muslims, Christians and Orthodox that are living together in this small country. Such diversity can both, slow down or help us in our very close future. I do believe in progress and improvement, in development only through the good and qualitative education, that will make us, young generation open minded and ready for cooperation and success.

It is sad that effects of war remain. Are there any physical encounter?

The war itself left many unsolved and hard to handle things, which influence our political stage mostly. Nowadays, situation is going better, there are some conflicts, mostly verbal type, ideological, political. We, especially youth, are trying to make balance and somehow bring peacethrough the eyes of cooperation, communication and by establishing friendships with each another.

So you learned tolerance.

We are still in the process of learning to be more tolerative and understandiable, what make a big importance of a situation we are living in.

There are lot of minorities and majorities in Bosnia and that can cause problem. Have you ever faced any trouble because of that?

Thanks God I did not faced any problem when it comes to such diversity. I do have many friends, that are looking religiously, ideologicaly different that me, but we do share knowledge, ideas and we do respect each other. Of course, there are some conflicts that are happening even right now around Bosnia and Herzegovina, but there are also many issues that plays greater importance that the history itself. Some things can not be forgotten, but we have to learn how to live together again, how to cooperate and how to make our country better to live in.  

What about language? Are there different languages?

It is a funny thing. Just like Turkey, in different regions of Bosnia there are different accents. For example people from İstanbul and people from Ankara does not speak same accent. With Bosnian, which is the oldest one between the two, there is a Croatioan and Serbian language that are used in some parts of Bosnia and Hezegovina. All three together are Slavic languages, same but still vith very small and unimportant difference.


Okay, that is good. How about food? I assume that you have a special food in Bosnia. Were you able to find it in Turkey?

As I mentioned Bosnia is somehow a mixture of the world. Because of the location and empires that came to Bosnia. All these empires that came to Bosnia left something. For example, in case of Turkey, there are sarma dolma turşu baklava helva.. Also, there are still many food that have to be tried in Bosnia for the first time, čevapi and burek are sometin that Bosnia is really famoust about.


What about Sports?

When it comes to sport, there is a joke that all of the Bosnians are playing football but they are winning all other sports. We do play various sports. Edin Dzeko, Damir Dzumhur, Ibrahimovic, they are just a few between many of them that we, Bosnians are so proud on.
Okay then. My questions are done here. Thank you for your participation. I learned more than i expected.

It was pleasure of mine. Thank you.

Yorumlar